Berkeley County Water & Sanitation specializes in potable water distribution, the collection and treatment of waste water, recycling and solid waste disposal. Operating as a self‐supporting public utility, BCWS serves over 40,000 water and sewer customers and over 81,000 solid waste customers.
With a strong belief in customer service, BCWS continuously seeks to provide safe, reliable water and sanitation services at a competitive, non‐profit rate in the spirit of a publicly owned utility. Leading the Lowcountry in green energy innovation, BCWS is aggressively developing a Bio-energy Park to convert selected waste streams into clean, renewable energy.
Quick Facts & Figures
- BCWS is solely funded by rates and fees
- Employees: 240
- Annual operating budget: $53.8 million
- Current number of Capital Projects: 21
- Total Assets: $409 million
- Vehicles: 143
- Pump Stations: 122
- Miles of pipe: Approximately 1171
- Waste water: 19 million gallons per day
- Water: 40 million gallons per day
- Customers: Approximately 42,798
Last updated Jan. 2015